Monday, August 18, 2008

We're having family night, are you?

Tonight was Monday night, which means it was family night. It was a little shorter than normal because my Dad is on a business trip in Florida (bad timing for that one, eh?) and one of my sister's is in Provo. It also might have been a little shorter than normal because Jenna, my littlest sister, was in charge. She gave a wonderful lesson on baptism (incredibly cute, she got close to the end and then said "oh, I forgot to do this part, um, baptism is the first step, 'draw front part of train'"). And we played two rousing games of Uno Attack, where I'm pretty sure she could've won but just because she wanted to keep playing she pushed the button anyway.

I missed my own family family nights, and I'm about to miss them again.

But Jenna didn't have the whole show to herself. My mom also read a little bit from the LDS newsroom. Proposition 8 will be up for a vote this November in California. It's a law we already passed in 2000, was overturned by the California Supreme Court for being "unconstitutional", so now its up for vote to add it to the constitution. It's shortest piece of recent legislation I've ever heard of, only adding 14 words to the constitution: "Only marriage between a man and a women is valid and recognized in California". Period. No rights are being taken away, nobody is being hated on or discriminated against. Just protecting the family as it has always existed, whether you believe in a creation or evolution.

Obviously, as with anything political, a good number of people couldn't care less. Especially because this may not be happening in their own state. Just remember, when California sneezes, the rest of the nation catches a cold.

Protecting families for family night. Fitting.

6 comments:

Sarah Tucker said...

Umm. I am not sure where the end of this blog was going, but are you assuming gay couples can't have family time?
and so goes California, so goes America (hoepfully)

Mike said...

Wow, no one I know has found this blog, and yet you have. Congratulations. And yes, gay couples can't have family time. A gay couple doesn't constitute a "family", as much as PC would tell you otherwise.

Chino Blanco said...

Plenty of LDS parents have gay children. What effect do you think this Prop 8 campaign is having on their families?

Mike said...

Boy do I feel popular tonight. Um, probably about the same effect its having on families with straight children. It's causing the families to talk together about Prop 8, and how it isn't discriminating against the rights of gays at all. It's only to define marriage as it always has been defined: between a man and a woman. The end.

Chino Blanco said...

I hope this isn't the end of the discussion.

Senator Barry Goldwater:

The founder of the conservative wing of the Republican Party and nominee for President in 1964 was very outspoken on civil rights. He stated, “To see the party that fought communism and big government now fighting the gays, well, that’s just plain dumb.”

Conservative activist Ward Connerly:

"For anyone to say that this is an issue for people who are gay and that this isn't about civil rights is sadly mistaken. If you really believe in freedom and limited government, to be intellectually consistent and honest you have to oppose efforts of the majority to impose their will on people."

Oregon Republican (and Mormon) Sen. Gordon Smith:

“Part of what I fear, as you start defining marriage — we have a long history of doing that in this country, and my Mormon pioneer ancestors were the victims of that. They were literally driven from the United States in the dead of winter for following their religious beliefs. I don’t want that coming back, but there are some on the front pages of your newspapers who are trying to now.”

Food for thought.

Mike said...

Hahaha, look. Please stop making it look like homosexuals are victims or minorities being persecuted against. I am not persecuting gays. Yes, I will admit that there are probably people that are anti-gay campaigning for yes on 8, but I'm not one of them.

Marriage is not a right. It's purpose is not so two people can say they love each other. It's purpose is to agree to self-sacrifice for a greater whole, for a family. While gay people can be part of a family, two gay people can't start one; giving homosexuals the privilege of marrying doesn't make sense.

That's the last I'm going to say of it here. I did not create this blog to argue what I believe politically. Future comments on the subject will be deleted.