Thursday, August 6, 2009

I just don't get this new fangled interbox machine.


I consider myself pretty hip and cool on the interwebs. I know about the youtubes and the viral videos and such.

But I do not get twitter.

And yes, I'm in advertising. I've attended quite a few forums and presentations on how twitter and other micro-blogging can help a brand. You want to know my take? It's extremely overhyped. Unless you're product fills a very specific, heretofore empty niche market, it isn't that helpful.

And that's just businesses.

For normal people, WTF? It's even worse than a facebook status message, because facebook lets you use more than 160 characters (and gives you an excuse to write in the third person). No, I'll tell you what twitter is. But I'll give you a couple hints first.

"eating breakfast."
"I'm mowing my lawn."
"Brother just set the couch on fire. brb."

Guessed it yet? This one will do it for you.
"I'm away from my computer right now."

That's right! Twitter has been around for a long time, in the form of an AIM away message.

BUT MIKE TWITTER LETS YOU BROADCAST TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!?!!1

Yes, and if you're an Iranian getting the crap beat out of you by your government, that's great. But for the rest of you, have fun with your away messages.


4 comments:

iyouandme said...

I still don't really get what twitter is.... Am I retarded?

Tara said...

twitter is awesome and addictive. i didn't get it at first but now i love it. i mainly follow celebrities for the fun factor, and people in the PR industry so i can stay current with everything. for a while it was really helping with the job hunt. i swear, it really can have a use if it's used correctly!

dee said...

People want to know what the world is talking about and twitter gives them real-time information. (I don't think President Obama would have been elected without Twitter.) ha.

J.Phipps said...

If I was in the home burglary business I would use twitter. Oh, your last tweet was, "In Disneyland, won't be back for a week". Hmmm, I gotta go haha